And How to Know if You Need This Service
With customers, clients, students and employees coming in and out of your building all day, it can really take a toll on the cleanliness of your building. Rain water, mud, melted snow, leaves and more can be tracked into your office and flickering light bulbs can be a nuisance. As a business or school, it is important to keep your building looking professional, tidy, well lit and safe. Think of it as always putting your best foot forward. It can be time consuming to maintain this level of appearance; this is why so many businesses and schools hire a day porter as part of their commercial cleaning services to help maintain the appearance of their building on a daily basis.
How a Day Porter Can Help Your Business or School
Day porters are responsible for making sure that your business or school is clean and looks inviting to the public at all times. They also ensure that the building is safe for everyone, dealing with unexpected incidents as they arise, such as broken glass or slippery floors. They do these tasks discreetly, without interfering in the day-to-day activities. Here are a few of the duties you can expect a day porter to perform, depending on your business or school’s needs:
- Keep lobbies clean and tidy
- Keep glass surfaces clean and spot free
- Emptying trash bins
- Keep common areas clean
- Keep restrooms clean
- Restock supplies in restrooms as necessary
- Perform minor maintenance, such as replacing light bulbs
- Perform continuous touch-point cleaning to reduce the spread of germs and illnesses
- Clean up spills, broken glass or other cleaning emergencies
- Remove or warn of safety hazards, such as wet floors
- Clean and prepare conference rooms before and after meetings and VIP visitors
- Remove litter and debris from entrances and parking lots
- Other duties to meet your specific needs (just inquire with your commercial cleaning service!)
This may sound a lot like a janitor, however there is a major difference. Janitors are responsible for the entire inside of the building, while a day porter is responsible for keeping common areas and some of the exterior of the building clean and presentable.
Day porters are fully trained in the latest cleaning and sanitizing techniques. They keep their cleaning equipment and gear updated and can also provide eco-friendly service when needed. Day porters have an eye for general maintenance and upkeep, staying ahead of having to replace things around the building before they break.
How to Know if You Need This Service
If your office only has a few employees and you don’t have customers or clients coming in very often, you may not need a day porter. However, there are several reasons you may want a day porter for your school or business.
- You have high traffic common areas such as a lobby, break room or restrooms
- You have high profile clients that expect a spotless office and conference room
- You want to keep germs and illnesses from spreading
- You want to put your best foot forward
Your day porter will work with you to establish the appropriate cleaning schedule for your facility’s needs. As with all commercial cleaning aspects, it is important to maintain good communication with your day porter to ensure that your needs are being met.
If you are ready to hire a day porter for your business or school, contact AK Building Services today to see how we can help you keep your building spotless!